Saturday, September 25, 2010

YARN DELIVERY!!!

I am sooo happy today!! I got my KnitPicks order in the mail!!! I ordered it on TUESDAY, and now it's Saturday-- talk about service!!

I am just so thrilled. It's like sending a present to myself. There are 15 skeins total, and one pair of circs. There are seven different kinds of yarns, because I wanted to test out a bunch of different products. KnitPicks is like a discounted designer yarn that is EXTRAORDINARILY cheap compared to other designer yarns and it's not sold in stores, but tons of knitters use it and I wanted to see if I should join their ranks.

So, without further adooooo! Meet my new yarn!




6 balls Knit Picks Palette in Marine Heather.
Fingering Weight.
100% Peruvian wool, 231 yards.
I want to use this yarn to make a really sweet short-sleeved sweater with a great fold-over collar and button placket. The pattern calls for light fingering. This yarn was $2.19/ball!! So I couldn't resist. I mean, the total, for all six balls, was $13.14!!!! You don't even know how good of a deal that is considering how expensive wool can be at yarn stores. It's a very, very pretty color-- a deep blue-green. The yarn, being 100% wool, is a little "hairier" than I'd like, and I imagine it might be a little itchy close to the skin, but as this is the kind of sweater one wears over a shirt, I don't think it'll be a problem. I also got needles to knit the sweater, size 2 24" circulars, which can be hard to find in stores cause they are so small.


1 ball Knit Picks Shine Worsted in Clementine
Worsted Weight
60% Pima Cotton, 40% Modal, 75 yards
No idea what I want to use this particular ball for, but I would definitely order this yarn again for a worsted weight project. It has a LOVELY sheen and it is incredibly soft to the touch. Perfect for baby stuff. I love the Clementine colorway, too. The only thing I don't love is the low yardage. It would take many balls to make a grown-up sweater, that's for sure. But you can't beat the price. $2.49/ball!


1 Ball Swish DK in Sugar Plum
DK Weight
100% Superwash Merino Wool, 123 yards
 This is a very pretty, classic Merino yarn. Might not be the best next-to-skin project, but on the other hand, it probably is pretty comfortable. It's not hairy at all, no long weird fibers-- pretty smooth. I won't know until I knit it up. It feels pretty soft-- not as soft as the Shine, but I could see a lot of uses for it. Plus, I LOVE the Sugar Plum colorway. I could see ordering it for a project. I could definitely see it as a hat for a baby or kid. It would even be nice for a sweater, I think. This yarn has a lot of potential.


1 ball Knit Picks CotLin in Pistachio.
DK weight.
70% Cotton, 30% Linen, 123 yards.
 This is a very nice cotton yarn. Very subtle sheen, soft, light. Would be great in a summer project. I love the minty color. Again, don't know what I'll use it for, but I can see that it will be a very hardy and sturdy yarn that will wash well.


2 balls Knit Picks Simply Cotton Sport in Ginger
Sport weight.
100% Organic Cotton, 164 yards.
This is another nice cotton yarn. It's undyed, natural, which I really like, and the colorway is very interesting. It has very, very subtle variegation. You can barely see it, but it's there. I got two balls because I thought I might want to make some kind of project with it, maybe a baby project. It also comes in Worsted weight, but I generally like finer weights because I find that heavier weights makes for bulky and unattractive garments.


3 skeins Knit Picks Shadow in Summer Blooms Tonal.
Lace weight.
440 yards 100% Merino wool.
 I got three skeins because I had a project in mind, the Featherweight sweater, a nice light cardigan, but if I find another laceweight sweater I may make that instead. I love the idea of a laceweight cardigan, because I'd get a lot more use out of it than a bulky sweater. I've made many sweaters, but I barely wear any of them because they're all so huge and bulky and unflattering. I've never made a sweater in a weight lighter than worsted. Therefore I got the Palette and this, to make lighter weight sweaters. This yarn is beaaauutiful. It's handpainted in deep magenta/pink/red shades. I can see that it'll be really nice knitted up. Again, it's a little hairy, like the Palette, but it would make a very nice, airy sweater.


1 skein Knit Picks Stroll, in Springtime tonal.
Fingering/sock weight.
75% Superwash Merino, 25% nylon, 462 yards.
Now this might be my favorite of the bunch. It's so soft and smooth, just like sock yarn should be, and the color variegation is soo lovely. I love the bright, springy green. (I'm a sucker for handpaints.) It was also the most expensive, $9.99/skein. But that's still a lot less expensive than your typical handpainted skein of sock yarn, which runs usually at least $20/skein. This is a really lovely yarn and I'm looking forward to using it.


YAAAAARRN!!!! HOORAAAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment