Each hat has had its own saga, its own story.
I did Leah's hat first, with super bulky cotton Dance yarn. I only had one 70-yard skein, which I figured should be enough to make a hat. This was my first attempt:
This was an improvised design. I impulsively decided to do some cables. It looked okay, but the top was strange and again it was long and thin. Take three.
Saulie's hat. Take one.
Finally I just decided to continue with it anyway, but when I finished it, it was too long. It fit ME. So I knew it was going to be too big for a four-year-old. So I ripped back, removed a repeat, and finished up again. I am very happy with the result:
Now I'm just wavering on whether or not I want to send Leah the hat. I guess I have a while to decide.