Monday, March 14, 2011

Umm... Fail?

About a week ago I cast on for a ruched tank top I found in the Spring issue of Interweave Knits. The "Gathered Front Tank" to be exact:


I wasn't like head over heels in love with it, but I thought it was cute and figured why not. So I made the front. Interesting construction. It is worked flat growing outwards in a semicircle with increases for the ruches, and then short rows to square out the corners. Here it is pinned nicely down:


Looks cute right?

But today I decided to make sure the back wasn't too big, so I pinned the few inches of it that I had to the front and tried it on and I found that it was really, really unflattering. And just weird looking. It had this POUCH in the stomach. A literal pouch.


WTF?????

 


 Am I knitting a maternity shirt? No. I don't think so.

The only way to fix it would be to start all over again with lots of carefully calculated decreases down the center. Something I'm really not that interested in doing.

Like... dude. I'm just kind of dazed. Like... what? How did this happen? Is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve basically rewriting the pattern and reknitting the whole thing? I guess I could steek and cut the whole pouch out (I've never steeked before), but I really don't have much yarn, so that would be a serious waste since I have no intention of buying more.

Then I had a look at the pictures in the magazine and you know what? The sample has a pouch too!!!! It's artfully photographed so you can't really see it well, but it's SO there. The problem is the pattern.

So yeah. I will not be going forward with that project. And I guess I will just have to frog the whole thing. I feel like leaving it for a day or so before I rip. The yarn is really nice though. Smooth and soft. I don't know what I'll use it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment