Friday, October 15, 2010

Blackberry Cozy Pattern

Wassap?

Since I last wrote I have started and completed two projects... no three. One was a Blackberry case for my aunt, another was a sample hat, and the third was a baby sweater. Each project took an average of about a day and a half.

My aunt requested a "slim" sleek little knit case for her Blackberry so I whipped this up with some leftover sock yarn:
Here it is modeled on my roughly-the-same-size iPod. Unfortunately I could not get ONE good picture of it. My camera really sucks. I used leftover Malabrigo Sock from my Karira socks-- It used up SO little yardage I could easily make six or seven more cases. It was a simple 2x2 rib with a garter opening. Here's the pattern:

BLACKBERRY COZY

Fits a Blackberry, iPod, slim camera, or most other little handheld devices.

Use a sock or fingering yarn and two size 1-2 circulars (whatever you normally use for socks).
CO 36 sts, split the stitches onto two circulars, and join in the round. Work 6 rows in garter stitch (you must knit one round, then purl one round in order to achieve garter in the round).

Begin k2, p2 ribbing and continue until work measures approximately 4.5", or however long your device is. WARNING: Since this cozy is meant to be very stretchy, the length of the work will not necessarily equal the length of the device-- the cozy will be shorter. Make sure to check the length often against the device in order to ensure a good fit.

When work reaches desired length, separate the stitches so that there are 18 on each needle. Turn the sock inside out (or you can simply bind off from the RS-- both sides are identical up to this point) and work 3-needle bind off.

Button flap: Choose which side of the opening you want to be the back. Pick up 5 stitches in the center of it from the RS. Work garter stitch for 3/4". Buttonhole round: K1, k2tog, yo, k2. Continue in garter stitch until flap measures 1.25". Bind off.

Finishing: Sew button onto cozy beneath buttonhole. Weave in ends. Ta da!

You can finish this in a few hours. And it's a sweet little cozy. I'm thinking of making another one with a button band... I just LOVE putting buttons on things. They give such a finished look to knit pieces.

Anyway... I also made a baby sweater for my friend, due in December:

For some reason the right shoulder is kind of square. This sweater is knit in pieces and seamed. I like working flat but I HATE the thick seams you get when you have to sew it together!! This is Aran weight Muench Family, which is SUPERSOFT and perfect for kid things, but it also makes a bulky seam when sewn together. I hope it doesn't bother the baby... and I hope they put it on the baby. I still have to get some buttons for the neckband placket. But it was a fun little project. Baby stuff is great. So quick and gratifying. My future kids are going to be the most knit-furnished babies on the planet!! I just hope, for their own sake, that they are born in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment