Sunday, January 21, 2018

Respawn!

After another year-plus absence (year and 2 months to be exact)....

Yeah, my bad. I did actually do a lot of knitting in the past year - two more baby blankets, four pairs of socks, a hat or two.... But I just didn't get around to writing about it.

Anyway, since then I've quit my job and winged my way back across the world to adventure and travel in the land of my birth, my beloved America!

I'm not sure how much knitting I'll be doing here, but quite possibly a lot more than formerly, since I will in theory have a lot more time.

Quick look at various projects from the past year:

Blankies

1. Eitan

 

[Late, of course] Present for my friend Noa's firstborn, Eitan, last January. Made it with cotton, my new fave for baby blankets - light, versatile, machine-washable! Simple, cute pattern.

2. Dina

   

Pretty hearts for Sarah's second baby girl, born at the end of the summer. Also cotton - I wanted to try out this new yarn, Caron Cakes, with long color changes. I chose a hearts pattern since Sarah really likes hearts, and the color changes ended up matching pretty well with the hearts.

Sox

1. Dad



Dad's birthday socks. I HATED THESE SOCKS! The pattern was okay, but the yarn (Paton's Kroy) was SO AWFUL. Never, ever using it again. The color changes didn't match up, and there wasn't even enough yardage so I had to use a supplementary yarn for the heels and toes. And the pattern repeats didn't match up either. One of my least favorite sock projects.

2. Mom

 

Present for my mom. Also made with Kroy - never again! Once more, the colors did not match up! Not even close! The pattern was cute, but the second sock, with the pattern mirrored, didn't turn out as neatly as the first.

3. Brian

 

Hanukkah present for my future brother-in-law, Brian. Used Loops & Threads Woollike, which is really thin, but very soft - it's not my favorite sock yarn, but I have a lot of it. I liked the pattern - simple, but just a little different from the classic rib. And I always love the contrasting color touches on socks. However, I made them too big.

4. Jill


Pretty lacy socks for Jill - it's been a long time since I made her a pair. Also in Woollike. They took me months to complete, though, because I was so busy with my move. I began them at the end of October and didn't finish them until I got back to New York in December. 

Randos

1. Mittens



I got super bored while home sick in October, and decided to make this useless pair of neon-coral mittens. Luckily, my friend Susie liked 'em, so they're hers now.

2. Baby stuff


My cousin Alexa had her baby three weeks ago, and I quickly whipped up a few newborn pressies before his bris. I didn't make him a blanket because my Nana, of blessed memory, who taught me to knit, made him a beautiful one last year. I merely provided cute accessories, including this newborn set of hat, mittens and booties, and another hat for when he gets a bit bigger.

Going forward, I have a list of projects, but I'm not that excited about them because I have to use stash yarn (😣). Oh yeah, that was a fun interlude - when I casually mentioned I didn't think I had any yarn left in the attic, my dad went up and dragged down three enormous plastic bins full. Whatta mess! 

What I found in the bins.
I went through and sorted out most of the Red Heart garbage that I'll never use, along with tons of bits and leftovers I don't want, and I plan to donate most of it. I have one bin left of yarn I want to keep for my stash, but not really enough of any of it to make the things on my list, including:

1. Entrelac hat for my aunt
2. Scarf for Mom
3. Scarf for Dad

Since they each already HAVE many of these necessary winter articles, I'm less motivated to get started. I decided to make my parents scarves instead of socks as late Hanukkah presents when I realized they were both using ancient, ugly scarves from my first few years of knitting, in weird colors and lame patterns. 

Ugh!
I want to make them nice classic scarves that match their winter coats (probably black, ugh) but the only yarn I have enough of for that kind of project is Red Heart! And it's not only crappy acrylic, but it's also rough and not soft or comfortable. Kinda want to sneak over to Michael's and get more yarn... just not sure how to justify that considering the quantity of stash I have rediscovered. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment